- CULMINATION CEREMONY INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES
- Based on California Education Code AB 1575, schools can no longer require families to pay for caps and gown worn as part of a culmination ceremony. As a result of this ruling, Holmes MS students will not be wearing gowns to the ceremony. In recognition of the dignity and significance of the day, we are implementing a culmination dress code. Please make sure your child follows the guidelines listed below. Failure to follow the guidelines will result in removal from the ceremony and he/she will receive their Certificate of Completion after the ceremony concludes. The dress code is as follows:
- Closed toe shoes: heels no higher than 3 inches; low heels are less likely to sink into the grass
- Dressy blouses: no strapless tops, spaghetti straps, backless tops, revealing necklines, halter tops, crop tops or logos
- Dressy pants (no jeans, shorts or tights of any kind)
- Dresses or skirts: the hemline must extend 2 inches beyond fingertip length (no strapless or sheer dresses)
- Slacks (no jeans of any kind; no baggy/oversized pants; no frayed hems or holes). Students may not wear hats, chains, or large items over their clothes, i.e. large pieces of jewelry, leis, sashes, buttons, etc. Students are encouraged to wear items they received from the Pin & Ribbon Ceremony.
- Collared shirts (no T-shirts or shirts with logos). Shirts should be tucked into pants.
Participation in the ceremony is contingent upon good citizenship and proper behavior throughout the entire year as well as during the ceremony on June 9, 2017. Students who do not follow these guidelines may be excluded from the ceremony.
- Tickets are not required to attend the ceremony.
- There will be two entrances to the campus: (1) the gate at the front of the school and (2) the south parking lot gate on Prairie Street. Guests will be allowed on campus and into the ceremony area after 6th/7th grade students are in their classes, at approximately 10:00 a.m.
- A limited amount of parking will be available in the south parking lot on Prairie Street. Parking in this lot will not be available until after 8:30 a.m. Please allow time to walk to the campus if you have to park a distance from the entrances.
- For the enjoyment of all our guests, the following items will not be allowed on campus during the ceremony:
Staff members will be at all gates checking for prohibited events. Please leave them in your car or at home.
- There will be a photography area set up on the west side of the stage. You are encouraged to take photos/video from this area. Photographers will not be permitted in front of the stage, in the aisles, or in any area that will block the view of others.
- We ask that everyone hold their cheers and applause until all the students receive their certificates. Every child’s name deserves to be heard.
- The ceremony will be videotaped. You may order a DVD from the Student Store for $15 after the ceremony.
CClasses for 6th and 7th graders will begin at 7:50 a.m. These students will begin arriving on campus at approximately 7:30 a.m. We ask that after the ceremony, eighth graders and their families leave campus as soon as possible. Our 6th/7th graders will be transitioning to lunch at that time.
- CULMINATING ACTIVITIES: (Available to eligible 8th grade students only.)
June 1 Eighth Grade Awards night will be from 6:00-7:30 p.m. in McKenzie Hall. This event is by invitation only.
June 2 Panorama pictures and yearbooks will be distributed during periods five and six. Available yearbooks may be purchased for $47 cash. STUDENTS MUST SHOW ID to pick up their yearbooks.
June 7 Class picnic and dance will begin after school at 12:33 p.m. This event will be held on campus. The cost is $15 and includes a Carl’s Jr. meal (hamburger, French fries, and a drink), and opportunities to participate in interactive activities inside the video game truck, play laser tag, and obstacle course.
June 8 Culmination rehearsal will occur all day on the quad. Dismissal will be at 12:33 p.m.
June 9 Culmination ceremony will be at 10:30 a.m. Culminating 8th graders must arrive by 10:00 a.m. 6th and 7th grade students will be in class during this time.