Regular attendance at school is important to each student.
Our goal is to have a 96% attendance rate.
Students must be in school every day unless they are ill or have a medical or dental appointment. California State Law requires that all students returning from an absence have an absence note or a verification signed by a parent or guardian, explaining the date and reason for the absence. Students must take these notes to the Attendance Office before homeroom.
Holmes Middle School is a closed campus. Students are not allowed to leave school during the school day for any reason without a permission slip from the Attendance Office. To be excused early, a student must have a written parent or guardian request and be picked up in the Attendance Office by a parent or guardian. The office will then issue to the student a "Permit to Leave" the campus. Only persons listed on the Emergency Card with a Picture ID may pick up a student from the Attendance Office (818-678-4107).
The Attendance Office is open at 7:30 a.m. Parents are requested to telephone the Attendance Office whenever their son or daughter is absent. Attendance Office personnel should be notified of any changes in student addresses or telephone numbers in a timely manner. "Check-out/clearance cards" for students transferring to other schools, also originate in this office. Students should be on time to school and to their classes. However, if a student is tardy to school, these procedures are to be followed:
- Students who are late during homeroom should report to homeroom.
- Students who arrive after homeroom must report immediately to the Attendance Office for record clearance.
- Students will receive a "U" in work habits if they are tardy 3 or more times within a 5 week period.
- All student found truant will be immediately referred to the Counselor's office and Dean for discipline.
Medical and Dental Appointments
Written requests for medical and dental appointments should be presented to the Attendance Office before school on the day of the appointment. Students need to pick up the "Permit to Leave" slip and bring it back to the office upon returning. Students with a morning appointment should come to school immediately after the appointment. If the appointment is in the afternoon, students should attend school in the morning. Do not stay out of school the entire day.
Tardiness and Truancy
- Students who are tardy to class are sent to the Assistant Principal in the Attendance Office. After two warnings, detention will be issued.
- All Students found truant will be immediately referred to the counselor's office.