To view the full Student Handbook, CLICK HERE.
Certificate of Completion/Culmination Requirements
To earn a Certificate of Completion, students must earn a minimum of fifty credits in the eighth grade with marks of “D” or better. All courses will factor into the middle school culmination criteria. Students will earn 5 credits for passing each semester course with a mark of a “D” or better at the end of the fall and spring semester. Grades from all subject areas will be used to determine credits earned in the eighth grade. To participate in the culmination activity, eighth grade students must meet all LAUSD requirements to earn a Certificate of Completion. Holmes Middle School students are required to meet additional standards in order to participate in the culmination ceremony. These requirements are intended to foster good citizenship, attendance, and a sense of civic responsibility. In addition to the District academic standards, students must:
- have no more than 2 U’s in work habits and no more than 1 U in cooperation in the grading period prior to an activity. The U’s must come from two different teachers.
- complete five hours of community service; three hours must be completed by the end of the first semester, and the remaining two hours must be completed by the end of the second semester.
- have 97% attendance during the school year (a pattern of tardies may disqualify a student from participation).
- pay all library debts and/or fines.
- clear all textbook debts.
- serve all detentions owed to the dean, counselor, or administrator.
- not commit serious disciplinary violations (i.e: a suspension is a consequence for a serious disciplinary violation, therefore any suspension is grounds for ineligibility).
- demonstrate satisfactory school citizenship (any disciplinary incident or a pattern of disciplinary infractions may also disqualify a student from participation).
Holmes Middle School Requirements for Pin Ceremony:
To participate in our Pin ceremony, a student must have earned 25 credits and:
- have no more than 2 U’s in Work Habits and no more than 1 U in Cooperation in the grading period prior to the 8th grade activity. The U’s must come from two different teachers.
- have completed all detentions issued by the Dean, Counselor, or Administrator.
- have 97% attendance at the time of the activity (a pattern of tardies may disqualify a student from participation).
- have cleared all textbook debts and library fines.
- have completed three hours by the end of the first semester.
- have no major disciplinary incident or a pattern of disciplinary infractions.
Candidates who fail to meet the above requirements at any regular marking period may not participate in eighth grade class activities. Activities are planned to encourage students to perform satisfactorily and uphold acceptable school standards.