To view the full Student Handbook, CLICK HERE.
Board Resolution – Respectful Treatment of All Persons
“The Los Angeles Unified School District reaffirms its policy that students and adults in both schools and offices should treat all persons equally and respectfully and refrain from the willful or negligent use of slurs against any person on the basis of race, language spoken, color, sex, religion, handicap, national origin, immigration status, age, sexual orientation, or political belief…” (Excerpted from a resolution unanimously passed by the Board of Education, October 10, 1988)
LAUSD is committed to providing a safe learning and working environment. We do not tolerate bullying or behaviors that infringe on the safety or well-being of students or District personnel. Bullying is any behavior, verbal, non-verbal, physical, or done over the internet, which can be used for physical or psychological power, real or perceived over others. All reports will be investigated and the proper intervention will be carried out. Any retaliation will not be tolerated when bullying has been reported. Bullying type behavior must be reported immediately to the Counselor, Dean or any Staff Member.
Code of Conduct for Students
So that the school may be a clean, pleasant, attractive, and wholesome place in which to learn, certain rules are necessary. Each student must be responsible for their own actions and face the consequences for any misbehavior. These standards indicate the type of behavior expected of students.
- are expected to show respect and to follow the directions of all school personnel.
- shall use courteous language on campus always when speaking with adults and fellow students.
- shall show respect during flag ceremonies and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner during school assemblies.
- shall leave distracting items such as toys (i.e., balloons, dolls, stuffed animals, etc.) skateboards, playing cards, cameras, game consoles, toys, and all electronic devices at home. Expensive jewelry, personal items, and large sums of money should be left at home. Students are responsible for their belongings. Holmes Middle School is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- should respect another person’s “personal space” and avoid unnecessary physical contact.
- shall not deface school-issued items or property.
- shall keep all food items in the designated eating areas and dispose of trash into the proper receptacles.
- are encouraged to seek assistance from counselors or teachers in solving problems. Fighting is not permitted or an acceptable method of conflict resolution.
- must always wear closed toe shoes for student safety and health.
- must not have aerosol cans, pepper sprays, and/or mace sprays at school.
- shall be in their seats, prepared with necessary books and supplies before the tardy bell rings.
- shall raise their hands for permission to leave their seats and speak when it is appropriate to do so.
- shall help to keep the classroom, neat, clean and distraction-free.
- shall always extend courteous behavior to all school personnel and fellow classmates.
- may only be excused to go to the Health Office or restroom at the discretion of the classroom teacher.
- may not chew gum.
- may not be out of class without a hall pass.
- shall walk on the sidewalk/pathways, not on the grass or lawns.
- must walk and not run while on campus for the safety of all students and personnel (exception: P.E).
- shall take pride in the school campus and help to keep it clean, safe, and attractive.
- shall respect out-of-bound areas on campus. Students shall remain out of hallway and classroom areas during nutrition or lunch.
- may not ride bikes, skateboards or any other wheeled devices on campus.
- must keep their cell phones turned OFF during school hours (not on vibrate). Students who need to contact their parent/guardian during the school day may do so in the office with permission from staff. Holmes Middle School is not responsible for lost or stolen cell phones or other electronic devices; even if the items were turned into the lost in found, an office or to an adult staff member.